Monday 31 January 2022

Giving Thanks and Getting Back



Delayed November 2021 blather

It's been a while, largely through too much work and not enough brainspace, just like the bad old days. Sadly. "Let's build back better" is currently proving to be "Let's build back exactly the same but slightly more stressfully!" Horrible and quite oppressive. I'll come up with a "work less" (or possibly work-less!) plan to trial Jan-June '22. See if I can't redesign 200 years of corporate conditioning. 

Meanwhile, here's something I meant to publish TWO MONTHS ago before real life took over... Around the edges I'd been wallowing in the self-indulgent joy I can always derive from the latest Beatles renovations: film, book, multi-disc reimagining of an old album, YouTube clips and commentaries, Winter of Discontent, a podcast analysis of January 1969 to rival all podcast analyses (I'm on episode 21 and we're only up to 10am on the third day...) 

Consequently, I've caved in, done something I'd very definitely planned not to do, and subscribed (1-month-only, £7.99! (Oh, now it's three...)) to a thing called Disney+. I now have access to FORTY-FIVE documentaries all with the word "Shark" in their title (I'm not kidding!) but crucially, sometime this week, (Nov '21) three films, eight hours' total, edited down from 55 hours or so footage, of the Beatles musical group, tiddling around for three weeks, making, performing and recording some new tunes. 

I do feel like this particular global content-provider company has won and I have somehow lost, but I didn't feel I could wait an indeterminate amount of time until a Blu-Ray version perhaps appeared in the shops (which shop is that?! An email in my inbox with a “Buy” button in it is probably what I mean) - for which, incidentally, I would have to also buy a Blu-Ray player - so, I crumbled and subscribed, however fleetingly.

These things "air" (?!) over three days Thurs 25th - Sat 27th November 2021, dates chosen I assume, to accord with the US desire to Give Thanks. What day is Turkey Day? Thursday? Day-off work? Back in on Friday?

Now, being new to this modern way of consuming my question is: when such things are "released", are they like "old telly" and will appear on the front page of the "site" each day at, say 8pm, thus creating some kind of old-fashioned communal experience opportunity? Or are they just "there" from midnight+1-second? (Future ed.: I think the latter is what happened.)

Either way, I've got some daft idea to attempt to watch the three films as the same time the rest of the world does and indeed, cook some vegetarian poultry (and sweet potatoes and grilled squirrel, right?) on whichever day is Turkey Day. Y'know, "join in!"

Next week I Get Back in the studio (see what I did there? Always thinking...) to finish my new tune, meanwhile, Happy end-of-November, The Americas!

Now why DID George walk out…?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment